This month, April 2017, we celebrate the 90th anniversary of the chapel building. Horeb Chapel started as a Welsh speaking congregation in 1843, but early in the 20th century the demand for services in English was matched by a decline in the Welsh congregation. In 1906 Horeb became a congregation of the North Wales District of the English Congregational Union. It met in what is now the fish & chip shop next door to the present Chapel which in 1927 moved onto the present site, and was formally opened on April 7th that year.
The Church Meeting has agreed that 90 years is right to celebrate, and made a number of good suggestions as to how this should be done. Some of these will take place during the rest of the year, but on the 9th April, the nearest Sunday to the original opening date, there will be a special service; to match the original opening, this will be at 3 p.m. in the afternoon (there won’t be a service at 9.30). As in 1927, this will be followed by a tea, and the menu will be much as we think it would have been then.
The record of the stone laying ceremony in 1926 is on a bronze tablet in the porch, on which is engraved:
The foundation stones of this church were laid on October 26th 1926 by Rev Ben Williams, former minister; Rev W E Hughes, Minister; Rev David Walters, Moderator; John Jones Esq JP, Cong Union of North Wales.